Kindness vs. Condemnation {Chapter 10 Bible Study}

“Listen, Love, Repeat” Study Leader, Nichole Stern | Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies | #ListenLoveRepeat #P31OBSHey OBS friends! Happy Thursday to you. I’m both happy and sad today. I’m happy because I get to spend time in Bible study with you, our amazing OBSers. (happy face) But I’m also sad, because this is our last Bible study for #ListenLoveRepeat. (sad face)

BUT, if you read Monday’s post, you know we’ve got our next OBS just around the corner. (Happy face) 🙂

Now that we’ve turned our frowns upside down, let’s get out our Bibles, download today’s lesson below and get this studying started! We’ll gain some great pointers from Melissa on how to study God’s Word for ourselves.

Brand NEW this study! Join us on the blog for a FREE downloadable/printable Bible Study PDF to help you dig deeper into Chapter 3 of our "Listen, Love, Repeat" online Bible study. #ListenLoveRepeat #P31OBS

And … if you want to download the entire Bible study, we have that for you too! Click the button below.

In today’s Bible study, Melissa encourages us to pick one Scripture from Chapter 10 of “Listen, Love Repeat” to unpack on our own. We’d love to hear which Scripture you picked, why and perhaps a little something you learned?

I picked Romans 2:1-4. I love the lesson here that it isn’t our judgement that leads to repentance, but God’s kindness. I want to solidify this truth in my heart and respond to others with unusual kindness.

I’m looking forward to reading your responses!

~Nichole

You’re Invited!
Tonight is our last Bible Study LIVE event for #ListenLoveRepeat. The amazing Mari Taylor will be leading us through a fast paced hour of Bible Study on Facebook. You can RSVP here. Can’t wait to see you there!

Join us for an hour of fun & community on Facebook tonight! Bible Study LIVE kicks off at 8 p.m. ET. We’d love for you to join us! Click here to learn more and RSVP --> https://www.facebook.com/events/1394813630581634/ #ListenLoveRepeat #P31OBS

Comments

1. Esther says:

Romans 2:1-4
    A reminder that when we are called to speak out about wrongdoing either privately to a friend or in public addressing wrongs in society, we should never forget that we also are sinners saved by God’s kindness, mercy & grace. We should speak as we would want to be spoken to. Our aim should be to help lift others out of the pit, not condemn them & leave them in it. We cannot be salt & light without addressing sin but oh how we need to reflect God’s kindness, forbearance and patience to us in the way we address it in others.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Hi Esther, this is a great verse as well. We should treat others as we would want to be treated. sometimes it is not easy when it comes to some people but we have to try our best to be more like Jesus and be that shinning light for Him to others.

2. Donna Morris says:

I picked Ephesians 2:10-
    For we are God’s handiwork created in Christ Jesus to do good works,which God prepared in advance for us to do. We are God’s workmanship. Our salvation is only something God can do. God considers us his work of art.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Hi Donna, that is a great verse. We are a work of art and God created us and has great plans for our lives.

3. Today, for my Bible study, I studied 2 Timothy 2: 14-21. Through this study it helped me to realize that we are going to have a rough time doing good works (for others) if we do not first cleanse ourselves. We have to have the right mindset, the right words coming out of our mouths and we have to be noble before God. If I am quarreling with someone, or holding resentment towards someone, it is hard to be kind to others because that opposition towards another always gets in the way. We must be workmen (or workwomen 🙂 approved by God.
    I loved, loved, loved this study! I am so grateful for what I have learned in the last 5 weeks. Thanks Karen and P31 ministries.

4. Cynthia says:

I picked and actually highlighted this section as I was reading the chapter. Romans2:1-4. This really puts into perspective that for me the word Judgement. Growing up I felt as though I was always compared to others (judging others) this seemed to be a way of life to determine self worth so to say. Not knowing any better as I grew into adulthood the Judging never stopped with those around me, and for that reason I adapted that behavior. I cannot even Begin to express how this Bible study has opened my eyes to SO MUCH. And this chapter especially on Judging we are all Gods children and who are we to judge anyone? Judgement leads us nowhere and does not win over others. It doesn’t matter what I have or what you have or what they have its their Love and Hearts that matter the rest is all material and not worthy of Judgement. Thank you ladies for your daily participation and word with this study it does really mean a lot to me. <3 to all.

• Cynthia, It is like you were speaking to me. I have been judged and have judged😔It is an awful feeling on both sides. God knows my heart and wants me to display The Fruits of the Spirit🙏🏻

5. SUZIE V. says:

Romans 2:1-4New International Version (NIV) God’s Righteous Judgment—–
    2 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

This verse is very timely for me and a reminder that I shouldn’t judge others, because as the verse says I do the same things that I am judging others for. It applies to social media and I participate in a Ladies Blog and it’s easy to judge the “mean girls” but I don’t really know them nor do I have any idea what is going on in their personal lives so I need to treat them and also everyone I encounter each and every day (a relative or friend in a bad mood, the grouchy grocery store cashier etc) with kindness, forbearance (patient self control, restraint, and tolerance), and patience and the love that Jesus would.

• SUZIE V. says:

Judgement was one of the key words that I studied.

I looked up the definition:
      The forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind:

The thing I took from that is sometimes I JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS and form opinions which are inaccurate about people instead of looking at that person with the love of Jesus.

6. Elizabeth Bates says:

I picked Matthew 7:1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. I really love this one because to me it’s saying Jesus is giving us permission to tell right from wrong. Also, the Bible’s command that we not judge others does not mean all actions are equally moral or that truth is relative. The Bible clearly teaches that truth is objective, eternal, and inseparable from God’s character. Anything that contradicts the truth is a lie—but, of course, to call something a “lie” is to pass judgment. When Jesus said not to judge others, He did not mean that no one can identify sin for what it is, based on God’s definition of sin. And the Bible’s command that we not judge others does not mean there should be no mechanism for dealing with sin. The Bible has a whole book entitled Judges. The judges in the Old Testament were raised up by God Himself. In saying, “Do not judge,” Jesus was not saying, “Anything goes.” Elsewhere, Jesus gives a direct command to judge: “Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly”. Here we have a clue as to the right type of judgment versus the wrong type.

7. Rebecca Kraft says:

One of the key words today was “judgement.” It truly is one I have struggled with for many years. And I have never quite grasped why we are so quick to judge others without offering compassion, kindness, and love. Why do we automatically jump to conclusions about someone without taking the time to getting to know their hearts first. My verse (among many) this week is Matthew 7:1-2, “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For you will be treated as you treat others.” Then, I am led to these chapters: 1 Corinthians 5 and 6. We have clear instructions of who not to associate with and why we shouldn’t judge. 1 Corinthians 5:3-5, “I am not there with you in person, but I am with you in spirit. And I have already judged the man who did that sin as if I was already there. When we meet together in the name of our Lord Jesus, then hand this man over to Satan. so his sinful self will be destroyed, and his spirit will be saved on the day of the Lord.” Powerful verses about judgment. Christ paid the ultimate price for the sins we have and others have committed. I never choose to study judgement closely until today because it was an area in my life I never grasped or comprehended. I think we all know we shouldn’t judge, but I think our human nature brings us to this place because we either draw to conclusions or we stereotype the individual based on what were see on the outside. But unless we are kind and love others, we never will know the heart of the individual. I always told my children and still do, “Don’t judge a book by its cover because the cover may not reflect the inside of the book. Treat others the way you wish to be treated. If you want to be treated with compassion, kindness, and love, then offer compassion, kindness and love to others. Search for their heart and always, always look for the good in everyone. People will mess up, it happens. But in their mess look for the message. There will be one in which you can learn from.” I admit sometimes I personally have failed in this advice I have given my children. And I have brought myself to reach out to those I have wronged and share with them how I messed up in how I have treated them. It wasn’t fair or correct for me to do. And I am thankful they offered me forgiveness and love just as Christ has. Often times humbling ourselves to admit we have done something is not easy as we think it will be (it isn’t meant to be easy), but doing so brings us to a place of repentance, forgiveness, and freedom. When you find it difficult to be compassionate, kind, or loving just remember God is compassionate, kind, forgiving, and loving towards us and if God can be all of those to us why shouldn’t we offer it to others? Daily I attempt to live by this verse, it can be challenging but it is a great reminder to me how I should treat others no matter how they treat me, “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another even as God in Christ forgave you.” If Christ can forgive me, I can forgive others and give them an opportunity to experience Christ through me.

8. Linda Mae Green says:

Several verses, well actually all of them struck chords in my heart. 2 Timothy 20-21, cleanse themselves…..(then will be) useful to the Master……that is how I pray to be every day and Hebrews 13:1, “…..keep on….”. I love Karen’s point that it is an action!
    This study has gone ny way to fast but had been such a blessing!

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

HI Linda, those are great verses. This study has flown by and so glad you were apart of it and enjoyed it.

9. Eunice says:

I am going to work on 1 Peter 3:15 because it will help keep me focused on the hope that I am supposed to have; yet so quickly abandon as I struggle to find a place in the world. Hope is powerful. . .but I need to embrace it. . .and that embrace will transform my words to be more gentle and reflect the respect I feel as a child of Christ for others. It will help fuel my quest to Listen, Love and Repeat. . .all the while working through the hope and spirit of Christ in me.

10. Thie first verse, 1 Timothy 6:18, is what stood out to me from Chapter 10 most.

Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

My future mother-in-law’s birthday is coming up, as well as Mother’s Day, a few co-workers’ birthdays, another co-worker’s completion of her MA degree, a family member’s high school graduation… So many things to celebrate this month — and so many gifts to buy. Meanwhile I am trying to plan my wedding and honeymoon and my fiance and I are getting ready to buy our first house. I keep getting thoughts like, “Well it’s great that ___ is graduating, or of course I want to celebrate ___, but man, I don’t want to spend money on them right now.” How selfish is that?! God is telling me to be generous and willing to share. I have had many financial struggles, and He has always gotten me through some way or another. I shouldn’t expect anything less of this Mighty God of ours this time. If He can bless me so much, it is certainly my job to go out and bless others.

• Proverbs31 Online Bible Studies says:

Kyra, so glad you are wanting to bless others, even when you are busy. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

11. Madeline says:

Matthew 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”
    I feel this verse is for me because at times I can be judgmental. This verse is making me open my eyes to the fact that I’m not perfect so I shouldn’t judge others. This Bible study has really opened my eyes, my mind and my heart and has made me pull out my Bible to do the worksheets. I thank all of you for making my life better! Keep up the good work.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Thank you Madeline for your kind words. We are so happy that you are connecting with this study and that your life is better! Blessings sweet sister!

12. Leisha Sayers says:

I chose Acts 9:36-39 and the story of Tabitha. I found it beautiful that the name Tabitha and Dorcas both mean gazelle.

A gazelle is prone to attack by predators because they feed in open grasslands. So this means they have to be HIGHLY ALERT and SENSITIVE to the presence of other animals. They are constantly on the lookout and rely heavily on their eyesight. They are also very fast animals.

Tabitha had to be like this to ALWAYS do kind things and help the poor. She had to be aware of her surroundings. Alert and sensitive to the needs of others. She was probably also quick in helping them. Not delaying her actions or “praying about helping them.” She just did it..always!

She is a beautiful example of the way we should desire to serve God. We should want to ALWAYS do kind things and help the poor. We too need to constantly be on the lookout for people and opportunities to serve and help. We need to be HIGHLY ALERT and SENSITIVE to the presence of others. Just like the gazelle!

Unlike the gazelle who is looking out for himself, we are looking out for others. Others that need an ear, a shoulder, food, shelter, love, or a friend.

Be a Tabitha!

In verse 39 it talks about the widows weeping at the loss of Tabitha and showing Peter the coats and clothes she had made for them. It made me wonder would people weep over my deeds for others here on this earth. I don’t know but I do know a God that will smile about them. The glory is His!

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Love all your comments about Tabitha. Not delaying her actions or “praying about helping them”. On point!! Keep on with the actions that make God smile

• I very much enjoyed your posted meditation on the story of Tabitha – may we all be like her!

13. Estalee Nightingale says:

I’m still trying to catch up with Chapter 8, but I wanted to share a song with you that has touched my heart. The group is Casting Crown, and the song called “Who Am I”. Check it out. I will try to catch up and post later on. A big thank you to the Bible Study Team and Karen Ehman for her book and video’s. I am signed up for the next bible study. I loved this last one.

• Caralyn says:

That song is what God used to get me into more Christ-centered music! I love it! Casting Crowns is a mini sermon in every song! Right now I am learning from the message in “When the God Man Passes By”. Come to think of it, this compliments the message in 2 Timothy 2:20!

14. Estalee Nightingale says:

Romans: 2-4, I have had disagreements with my boyfriend about this passage. He says we can judge other christians, and tell him Judge not least we be judged. There are passages that do say to judge actions, so who is right? If we are all sinful in the eyes of God, Who are we to judge others?

• Esther says:

The difficulty is that the word ‘judge’ has more than one meaning. We can judge in the sense of recognising sin but not judge in the sense of condemning the person, because we also deserve to be condemned and yet God has shown kindness, mercy & grace to us. We should show the same to others.

15. Rachelle Quarterman says:

I chose Romans 2:1-4 too. I like how this verse explains “So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?” (verse 3). People sometimes forget their own sin and don’t have grace or mercy for others doing the same thing. This verse reminds me of the saying “don’t judge me just because I sin differently than you.” Verse 1 says “You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.” When we judge others we are condemning ourselves.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Yes. It is so easy to get our eyes on others and their sin or short comings and ignore our own.

Grace. Grace.

16. Mare Hindall says:

10 Love each other with genuine affection,[a] and take delight in honoring each other.
    This is Romans 12:10 I picked this because I love the words, genuine, delight, and honoring. These words tell us how we should treat and talk to other’s. To put others before ourselves.

• Proverbs31 Online Bible Studies says:

Mare, what a great verse to share. Thank you for being a part of this study. Keep putting others before yourself! Blessings!

17. Caralyn says:

The scripture I needed to unpack was 2 Timothy 2:20-21. I had to look up multiple translations to get it, and it spoke volumes to me! In a world where everyone is judged by their outer appearance, we often miss entertaining angels. I know I have been guilty of overlooking someone because they looked and smelled like a “waste can”. The trouble is, I am no ” crystal goblet” myself. My stains may not be on my face or clothes, but it is worse to have them on my heart. God can and will use anyone to further His kingdom.

18. Good morning Nichole, i just want to say, thank you for having an online bible study. I would like to say that i am very greatful to have something To do on my phone. When im home after work. I participate in listen. Love and repeat. It pretty awsome. I love the video that Karen Ehram made. I felted like i was in the class. I love to listen to her and her stories.

19. Lynnette says:

I chose 1 Peter 3:15 “but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence”.

Not only do I want to be able to answer (counting on the Holy Spirit to grant me the words), but I want to live so that people see that hope in me and want to ask me about it!

20. lisa hilton says:

True story…only one that God could do…I don’t usually blog, but I felt you needed to hear this because it is encouraging as believers.
    I decided I needed a couple days away from the stressors of life. Plus it was going to be 108* where I live!!! I had been trying to follow the online Bible study, “Listen, Love, Repeat”, but unfortunately hadn’t gotten very far in reading the book.
    So I got away for a couple of days, determined to finish the Bible study I started. Sometimes, I admit, it’s a little challenging for me to be still and focus. But this day I was thankful I was relaxed and taking the time to read. My husband called me and said his older brother, Don wasn’t doing well and might pass away soon. He said the family back east were all going to gather that afternoon to try and make a decision whether to take Don off the ventilator or not. A very heart wrenching decision for everyone.
    After hanging up and praying for the family, I went back to reading Listen, Love, Repeat. I was reading through the scripture verses in the book. All of a sudden 1 Corinthians caught my attention:
    “I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought”.
    I felt God’s timing was perfect and sent that to the family. They read it out loud as they gathered and were thankful for the verse and thought it was perfect timing. God’s timing is perfect! Praise be to God!
    Thank you to all of you at Proverbs 31 for letting God use your gifts and talents to serve Him and touch people’s lives!

21. Martha says:

Ephesians 2:10New International Version (NIV)

10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I choose this scripture because it reminds me to do what God created me for.

22. Christy G says:

A little behind here again, but I’m finishing strong!
    I chose Eph. 2:10. I keep coming back to the word MASTERPIECE. I AM GOD’S MASTERPIECE!! I’m sure I’ve read this version MANY times before, but this time that word has really struck a chord in my heart. I am God’s masterpiece. Not will be. AM. NOW. Today. Already done. How can I not be humbled and grateful for this? How can I not want to do good works for God’s glory when I remember that He has already made me His MASTERPIECE???? I think you get the idea. I’m greatly humbled and challenged to remember this…..

23. The scripture I chose from Chapter 10 is 1 Timothy 6:18. “Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and be willing to share.” I chose this scripture because we are to be good to everyone we meet or see even if we don’t have anything to give we can give a kind smile, or even a hug if you can, or even a thank you and appreciate what they are doing or have done. This is a way of being rich, not materialistic but with the deeds of your kind heart and service. We can be generous and willing to share what we have when we can out of love for one another from the good Lord.