What is Rest?

"Me, Myself, and Lies" Study Leader, Angela Diemer | Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies | #NoMoreLies #P31OBSHey there summer gals! Can you believe we’ve arrived at the final Bible Study section for Me, Myself, and Lies? Let’s come with an expectant heart today, to hear a specific word from God. Okay?

I love reading and studying the Word of God. It’s transformed my life! So, I guess you could say I get a “tad” excited when it comes to studying and sharing the truth found in Scripture.

It’s those quiet moments of spending daily time with God in Scripture that give my mind, heart and soul rest. And we all desire rest, right? Scripture (and our study) tells us what resting in God is like. I love how Jennifer Rothschild says it in Me, Myself, and Lies:

“Rest isn’t just what God did. Rest is who God is.”

"Rest isn't just what God did. Rest is who God is." - Jennifer Rothschild #NoMoreLies | Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Week 5 #P31OBS

Rest IS who GOD IS — Love that! It makes me look at “rest” in an entirely new way:

I’m at rest, because God is rest, and God’s in me.

We have Sarah Travis helping us get into Scripture today for our Bible study time. And she openly shares with us about some past challenges she had to walk through, and how she found rest in God. Her story alone will encourage you! But that’s not all, she also weaves in the inspiring true stories of Deborah and Elijah, found in the Old Testament. Now don’t worry if you’re not familiar with who they are; she’ll fill you in and bring you up to speed.

Also, a little side note, this week’s section in the Bible study may take you a bit longer to complete. But stay the course and take your time as you go through it, asking God to show you what He has for you. I know it’ll be worth it!

If you haven’t already, you can still download the full Bible study and get started today on the section labeled for Week 5 by clicking on the button below.

I’m believing God has a personal message for you today!

Angela

How have you enjoyed the Bible Study portion of our Me, Myself, and Lies OBS? We’d love to hear which week’s section was your favorite, or impacted you the most, and why!

Comments

1. Chapter nine really impacted me. Rest is something that I struggle with. I am always on the go trying to cross off most of the items on my to-do list. I am truly looking at the true meaning of rest after reading this chapter and sitting down and making rest time throughout my week and my weekend.

• Angela Diemer P31 OBS Study Leader says:

Hey Mayra,
      I’m right there with you, on checking the lists off. I love seeing Rest as in who God is, and I’m at rest because He is in me. It helps me approach my days now in a new way. I’ll be praying for His rest in you too. Thank you for sharing with us.

Angela

2. Darlene Haggerty says:

I have truly enjoyed reading along with you me,myself and lies. I have been more aware of my thought pattern and what I focus on. I am choosing more positive thoughts and scriptures to meditate on. I am a fixer and have a very unhappy person in my life that I have allowed way to much energy on due to the role she is in my life. I now mentally and physically put her in the hands of the only true healer and will continue to pray for her but will step back from the torment she brings. God please continue to guide and direct me. Thank you for this study and God Nless your ministry Blessings

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Darlene
      I prayed for God’s direction and guidance in your life, and for God to give you wisdom regarding the relationship with that person in your life.

Suzie

3. Traci Lacayo says:

I have enjoyed the bible study and this book has changed me in so many ways for the better!! Learning to talk positively to myself has helped me be positive to others and like my grandma always told me…garbage in, garbage out. I don’t want to think negatively and be negative anymore and that all starts with me.

4. I have really enjoyed the Bible study, so much that I keep signing up for more, I’m hooked! The book has helped me be mindful of my self talk. Thank you OBS and Proverbs 31 Ministries!🙏💜✝️

• Angela Diemer says:

YAY! Thank you Tere for sharing, we love that you love it! God gets all the glory!

Angela

5. Donna Morris says:

I have enjoyed reading this book. I didn’t realize how much negativity was in my.thought closet. I am aware now and working on putting only positive thoughts in. I have enjoyed digging deeper in the Bible with the Bible study component.

6. Elizabeth Ross says:

I am loving this part of the study. It has helped me dig down and find truths that I need to make an impact!

• Suzie V. says:

Amen! And John 8:32 (ESV) says—-“and you will know the truth, an the truth will set you free”. God’s Word is Truth, and it does set us free!

7. Susan Kolb says:

Yes! I have enjoyed the Bible Study portion of this study. I love to research verses, their meanings and dig into my Strong’s Exhaustive concordance of the Bible with it’s Hebrew and Greek dictionaries. (No, I do not speak Hebrew or Greek). I think week one was my favorite week because while I have studied verses in context, the actual writing the verse, the verse before, the verse after and what I learned was a new study method. I am glad you have continued to encourage me to study, to dig a little deeper.
    Blessings!

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Susan!
      I really enjoy digging deeper into God’s Word too, and love the different methods we can use to study Scripture.

• Joan smith says:

I enjoyed that too… it really helped with how I’ll study in the future…

8. Stephanie says:

So far, it all has been wonderful. I think the basics of recognizing, refusing, replacing are what I needed the most. I also have to say that each weekly verse is just what I needed. It is amazing how this was planned long before, but God knew what I needed to hear each weeks!
    Thank you for this wonderful study!

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Yes Stephanie, He is the ultimate planner! Keep applying all those principles as you continue on once this study is over. Keep it up!

9. So far in this study I have learned a lot. I didn’t know to think about it the way as having thought closets. But thanks to Jennifer I now know how to change these thoughts and to use some examples she has given us in her book to follow along with the scriptures. I now feel a little bit better about thinking to myself or rather talking to myself about some things that come up and how to continue to put them in God’s perspective and let Hi.also help me in this. Thank you again Jennifer and the Proverbs 31 ministry for your help and this OBS study. God bless you all.

• Angela Diemer says:

Thank you Father for the work You have done and are going to continue to do in Sherri’s life. In Jesus name, Amen

Angela

10. Janet Wallace says:

I love the added Bible study portion, please keep it up!!!!! I love learning more about the Word and this a a great piece that gives us more food for thought.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Janet, thank you for letting us know how the Bible Study portion has helped you. We love digging deeper into God’s Word! Have a great day.

11. Virginia Maguire says:

The one comment that sticks with me most. Jennifer called herself an idiot which I’m frequently doing when I make a silly error! Jennifer chastised herself because God made her and he doesn’t make idiots! Thank you Jennifer for bringing that to my attention!

• Angela Diemer says:

Love it! Yes, those things matter. Words are powerful, what we speak we give power to. So thankful that resonated with you Virginia. Thanks for sharing
      Angela

12. Rosemary Osborne says:

I actually loved Sarah Travis’ cross references. I never knew about that and now love to do it!

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Rosemary…..Sarah’s Bible Study tips are just awesome and helps us to dig deep into the word, it’s not just about reading Scripture, it’s about studying it, and realizing how much more you learn from it.
      For those that missed out on what is cross referencing and how you do you it, here’s a video from Sarah’s teaching on cross referencing………….

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Rosemary, we’re glad this was an effective tool for you to use! It will continue to bless you as you continue on 🙂

13. Suzie V. says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Bible Study portion of this Study, I LOVE to dig into God’s Word and what I learn draws me into a closer relationship with God. And I can take what I’ve learned into my daily life.

My favorite was the word study on Quiet and Remember.

Stay in The Word, there’s life in The Word!

God’s Blessings,
    Suzie

• Suzie V. says:

And folks…………………..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take some time out of your busy week to do the Bible Study for Week 5, Sarah Travis’s Bible Study on Deborah and Elijah is just AWESOME!!! It takes some time, but it is definitely worth it—you will gain so much to apply to your own life and it helps us to deal with the circumstances we are facing, or will face in the future!!! You will be blessed! Fantastic job by Sarah with these character studies.

• Joan smith says:

Getting ready to start.. these study questions were just right.. to make us think and reflect and learn.. but not overwhelming .. I didn’t give up like I normally would

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Suzie, you are a real blessing on the blog. We love how you respond to so many of our ladies. We hope you apply to be a volunteer. We need more women like you. Thanks for all you do. Blessings!

• Angela Diemer says:

Agree! I loved seeing all of the encouragement you have been giving the ladies Suzie. Way to rock it out!

Angela

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Angela,
          Thank you for your kind words. I enjoy interacting with the other ladies on the Blog doing the study. And I did advise I would be interested in volunteering. I love to give back to an organization that has helped me draw closer to God, and I enjoy the studies I’ve taken with P31.
          God’s Blessings to you all!
          Suzie

14. Becky Talhelm says:

Best section of this OBS has been Calm Yourself. I’ve been through a great deal of heartache the past three years and these “calming” tools were just what I needed for the place I’m at in life. God is so faithful to equip us!

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Becky,
      My favorite chapter from Jennifer’s book was Chapter 7, “Calm Down”. I loved the Gasoline Words and Water Words tools.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Becky, thank you for sharing today. We love to hear how the study has impacted you in such a positive way! Keep up the good work . God is good, always!

15. LaTasha Johnson says:

What a great resource for learning more bout God’s word! The different perspectives really show us how we can apply his word to our lives. Awesome awesome awesome!

We’re glad you enjoyed it LaTasha! Hope to see you in the next study 🙂

16. Yes yes yes…I truly love the Bible Study portion of the Me, Myself, & Lies OBS!! I have learned so much from this study about myself about the words I speak to myself, and what I store in my thought closet. It has taught me to think different, to speak different and to be mindful of what I say to myself! This study has also taught me how to study the word of God differently and in new exciting ways and I love that as well. So glad that I joined in on this OBS and looking forward to the next one as well.
    Best section-humn now that is a hard one because I have loved so many parts of this book. I am still behind and catching up however no pressure (I learned that here) on myself and I will get through it. I am currently finishing up Look up: Hope in God, My Soul and I must say this chapter has been wonderful as well…I love the details of each leg of the table as well as the aspect of speaking directly to my own soul!!! I have highlights underlines notations and stickies in almost every page of my book you should see it. Love love love this book, this OBS and this avenue of study and new found friendship and community!!!

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Latrisa!
      Don’t give up, take your time, and continue with the Study and complete it, it will be worth it.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Latrisa, we’re glad that you’ll be joining us in the next study! It will be worth it to finish the study but it sounds like you’re almost there 🙂 And I’m a sticky note person too…I love how the book looks when it’s all flagged! Keep it up and enjoy God’s work in you as you finish the study.

17. I liked learning how to dig deeper into Scripture. Thanks so much for sharing how to do this more.

• Suzie V. says:

Hi Michelle,
      I agree with you, it’s wonderful to dig deep into Scripture, we learn so much in studying God’s Word.

18. I am a little behind in my bible study but the most impactful was actually the first week.. when I think of my thoughts and if I had to share them with my daugher (a young child) that scares me. I can be so positive with her and I want her to know that she can be positive with herself, she is a child of God (as I am) and He always loves, cares and wants what is best for a greater purpose.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

So well said Roxanne. We need to remind ourselves, as you have, that we are children of God and so dearly loved. Thank you!

19. Mare Hindall says:

I have enjoyed everything about the bible study. Each week has been my favorite. I’ve been learning so much, as I study God’s word. I wish we could have a bible study once a week! Thank you to all the bible study leaders. God’s blessings to you all.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Mare, we’re so glad that you’ve enjoyed this study and its made an impact on you. God is amazing! We hope to see you in the next one 🙂

20. I love what Sarah said in the Bible study guide: “We praise God before the victory, during the battle, and when we need to continue marching on after all the battles we face each and every day.”

What I love, too, is that we’re not to keep marching on just to march on. We march on because we will receive the reward. Praise God because victory is around the corner!

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Rose, isn’t that great that victory is in reach! Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

21. This OBS has really made me be more intentional about my thought patterns. I am more aware of the things I am “saying” to myself and I am quick to replace those bad thoughts with truth!
    I love the Bible studies each week because I don’t really know how to “study” the Bible and these are giving me the skills I need to really dig deep! Thank you and I hope you keep these up!

22. Jennifer Butler says:

The part of bible study I enjoyed the most was finding scriptures to connect to words like quiet. It made me have to look up scriptures online and in my bible that reflected the word quiet. I liked it the most because you are applying scriptures to your life and emotions.

23. Sarah Liddy says:

Knowing that rest isn’t just what God did it’s who He is. I love this.
    Thanks
    Sarah Liddy

24. With each section I have been more focused and aware on positive self talk and stopping negative talk more quickly. I enjoy the tips given to help me realize God doesn’t make junk and that I need to honor Him by keeping my talk positive about His creation, me 😉

25. Vicki mowery says:

I love these studies when is the next on.

26. OH MY FRIEND
    I SO ENJOYED TODAYS BIBLE STUDY FELT SO AT HOME READING IT
    I AM A DEAF LADY SO I USUALLY NEED CC, AND SO ITT IS GUCH A SPECIAL JOY TO BEABLE TO TAKE
    MY TIME AND READ AND REREAD YOU AT CHURCH I NEED AN INTERPATER SO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALLOWING TTHE LORD TO YOU YOU IN THIS WAY!!!!!

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Marylin, so glad you have joined us. Thanks for sharing! We are glad you like the Bible study. Blessings!

27. Stephanie says:

28. Stephanie says:

Hi ladies. I just found you today. And just found God on April 3rd. Thank God for that!! I had a study group back home in Columbus but have come to Indy for truck driving school. Are the rules/guidelines for joining or participation? I’m glad you’re here. I need God everyday!!looking forward to the next section.

• Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies Team says:

Stephanie, there are no rules or guidelines to follow. You do these Bible studies at your own time and pace. Once you sign up for a study, you should buy the book we are studying. Then you get about three emails a week with a study blog. There are other things you can do but they are optional. Hope you will join us in September for our next study. We are glad you found us. Welcome!

29. I really enjoyed the study. This was a big eye opener for me. Knowing that I am not alone in my craziness thought closet. Alot of trials and heartaches torn my confidence and trust apart but knowing I can find rest in God and to be in his presence can reassure me that I am worth listening to. I am worth fighting for and I am special. I am beautiful and I will not listen to the lies that people nor the devil has told me. Dealing with people’s criticism is very hard. I have had my days of being accused and hated for no reason. Its very hard when the people you thought you trusted turn their backs on you. But through this study, I begin to realize and recited some awesome bible verses. I love it and I am more happier and aware of my thoughts.

30. Caralyn Taylor says:

The study has let the cat out of the bag, or closet, and I do not want to let it back in! Satan’s scheme to pollute my mind with lies is vulnerable, and with the Sword of Truth I plan to keep it weak!

31. This has been a great study. I am taking the negativity out my thought process. It will be a work in progress but God will see me through.

32. This has been an awesome Bible study. Thank you.

33. Each week has been a treasure, but this week’s verse and study pulled it all together for me. I am at a really hard spot in my work that would be so easy to give up (I work at a church). I ‘feel’ so weak so the thoughts want to go there – not worthy, not good enough, it is all your fault, etc. . . . I know HE is mighty and is my strength and HIS reward is more than anything else. I need to claim my identity in HIM because I am worthy of HIS Love and plan for my life. . . . so I’m not giving up and will be strong!!!

34. Linda Mae Green says:

Lessons have been excellent as they have planted many new perspectives in my mind and heart. I like today’s on rest. this summer has been one of unexpected medical tests and surgery……so reading and participating has been limited to reading when I can. But blessed from that.

35. Ms Jennifer
    .sweetie you have brang to me a FRESH.. A BEAUTIFUL WAY of looking at so much..the Woman who bled for years.. She as you say..Don’t speak positive words..Jesus knows the HEART..HE SAID YOUR FAITH HEALED YOU..NOT Faith in words..or saying ANYTHING..THAT DRIVES ME INSANE..NAME IT CLAIM IT..WOF..POSITIVE CONFESSIONS.. WEALTH & HEALTH TEACHING..IN ALL HONESTY.. Ms.. Jennifer I may not remember word for word..But I DO PRAY FOR THE TRUTH..for God to show me the light..and HE DOES Every time..even though it costs me ALOT of money in books,tapes, DVD”.. Brokenhearted.. Tears for the ones teaching wrong to STOP.. Remember ALMIGHTY GOD our ALPHA & OMEGA..CREATER OF ALL.. HAVE REVERENTIAL FEAR AND AWE OF GOD.Preachers teachers.PLEASE TEACH ALL PARTS OF THE BIBLE!! So many don’t😓. You are or HAVE BEEN TAUGHT BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD.. I really watch who I hear or read.. I am BLESSED TO BE A PART OF YOUR TEACHINGS ..Ma’am may I take part in any other studies you have going on..I’m also looking into your NEW book..I am going to pray To The Lord our God to keep you from listening to ANY FALSE TEACHERS.. PLEASE STAY DOING THIS AMAZING WORK..OF GOD’S.. Many need TRUTH..TOO MANY SADLY ARE Listening and believing what they hear..the good happy PREACHING.. God wants you healthy and wealthy..you say it you claim it..so wrong..sorry I went on & on..I appreciate this Study so so much..hugs..I’ll look in the Internet to see any places where you teach more..Love and Hugs..Thank You Lord Jesus for her Your beautiful child…😘💝

36. Janice Alston says:

Thanks so much for this really learning study. I have been behind so much, but I have really learned a lot from the lessons, Jennifer, and all the wonderful ladies that provided me with so may different videos, and messages that really have given me a great relief on life’s trials. I have enjoyed this so much but am still trying to catch up. God is my rock, and I have and will continue to know God is truly the greatest Gift in my life. Love this Bible study. Will try hard to do the next one in September.

37. Jennifer says:

I liked the skills that were in the Bible Study lessons. I especially like the cross-referencing and now I do it all of the time when I am reading. I never really did that before this study so I am grateful to have been exposed to it.

38. Christy G. says:

I’ve loved being reminded how to study the Bible for myself. I’d been taught years ago, but have allowed those skills to go stale. I’ve also loved the practicality and simplicity with which these skills are taught. THANK YOU!!!
    Thank you, too, for giving us specific websites to use so we have a jumping off point to know good, trustworthy sites to start with.