Happy Wednesday Everyone! Melissa Sherlin here!
I’m so excited to be with ya’ll today!
I want to begin by sharing something in Chapter 1:
“How I use my words, whether for good or for evil, can often, although not always, be traced back to the quality time I am (or am not) spending with the Lord each day, how intentional I am about investing in my relationship with him, and whether or not I am taking steps to become more like his Son, Jesus Christ.” (pg. 18 paperback) ~ Karen Ehman, #KeepItShutBook
I recently asked several women what their biggest struggle is in studying God’s Word. Making time was at the top of the list.
No matter what season of life you may be in right now, there is always going to be something else fighting for your time. Being intentional means that you have determined to make something a priority. Easy enough right? Yeah, not so much … here is where it can get tricky.
You see, I am intentional to make sure my alarm is set for 5 a.m., when I have to be at work the next day. Although I really love my job, I really dread that alarm. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I would much rather go to work when I feel like it and it fits into MY schedule. Some days I would much rather be meeting my friend for lunch.
Sadly, I sometimes approach my time with God this way. I treat it as a duty, something on my list to check off. I’ll do it when it fits into MY schedule … just have so much to do, and when I get still and quiet enough, I just want to sleep! I don’t want to approach God or His Word that way! Just being totally honest with you today! Can anyone else relate?
Speaking of meeting a friend for lunch, I recently had the opportunity to meet my dear friend and P31OBS sister Sarah Travis for lunch. I blocked off half my day, then drove an hour and a half to meet her. I was so excited to meet up with her, share what was on my heart, and listen to what was on hers. I got up early, picked out my clothes, and then spent some time reading my Bible before I had to leave. This time was interrupted by my crazy dog that loves to break free and “visit” with the neighbors. I ended up chasing this dog around the neighborhood in my pajamas! I didn’t get much reading done; in fact, this is all that I read that morning:
God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth. It shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow will be seen in the cloud …” ~ Genesis 9:12-14
That’s it. Just two little verses! I had intentionally set apart some time to read my Bible, but it was interrupted by the craziness of life. I went on with my plans to meet my friend. During the drive to meet her, I prayed for God to meet us there and bless our time together. Here is a pic of us meeting that day:
As I was driving Sarah back to her car, I suddenly spotted a rainbow! I shouted, “Take a picture!” I thought of those verses that I had read that morning. That still small voice suddenly became alive and active to me. I knew God had put it there just for me just like he did for so many other generations before. What if I hadn’t read those words that day? Would I have even noticed the rainbow peeking out of the clouds? If I had, would I have known that God was speaking to me?
I want to approach God and His Word with excitement! I want to show up and share with Him what’s on my heart, and listen to what He has to say. How will I recognize that still small voice if I don’t show up to meet Him?
I have to be intentional to spend time with Him. Here are some ways that I’m working on being more intentional:
- Be intentional to show up.
- Be intentional to pray before reading and ask God to speak to me through his Word.
- Be intentional when the pastor/teacher/speaker says something I don’t understand to jot it down for further review.
- Be intentional to seek God in all aspects of my life. (The good, bad & the ugly!)
- Be intentional to identify any barriers to my time in God’s Word. Time management, understanding, boredom, etc.
- Be intentional to use whatever resources I have available to me. (My Bible, Bible app or the Bible online)
- Be intentional to let the Word of God transform me.
I believe when we intentionally seek him with our heart we will find him! Let’s seek God this week and spend some time reading our Bibles. Here’s how we can get started:
- Set a goal for yourself ~ (Specific days, hours, times or verses to read — whatever works for you! )
- Don’t know where to start? ~ (Look up any of the verses in chapters 1 or 2 and read the whole chapter where they are found. Or look up some of the over 3,500 verses Karen mentions on this topic.)
- Let’s pray before we start each day ~ (Read Jeremiah 33:3)
- Let’s see if spending time in HIS Word affects our words.
Social Media (optional)
Let’s encourage one another on Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter! Use the hashtags #P31OBS #KeepItShutbook #BeIntentional and post a pic of you and your Bible, Bible app or just your Bible. (Make sure to make the post public so the whole OBS community can encourage one another! )
****Two of you who comment below will win a Keep It Shut book and Keep It Shut Conference Call Series! Winners will be emailed Thursday afternoon.
- Do you struggle with being intentional with your Bible study? If so, what is your greatest obstacle?
- Do you have a scheduled time that you read your Bible? If not share your goal with us. Let’s be accountable to each other.
- Do you find that it helps to pray before reading your Bible?
See you tomorrow when Erin will be with us to discuss Chapter 2, “Squabbles, Spats, & Such How to Communicate with Family, Friends, and Other Necessary People.” (That sounds like fun!)
Have an INTENTIONAL day!
Melissa Sherlin 🙂