Hello and welcome to my blog. If this is your first time here, welcome. I’m so glad you joined me today. For those of you who may not know, I have a devotion running from Proverbs 31 Ministries, titled Exploding. It’s about the exploders in our lives. You know, the ones who seem to ruin the good times and point out all our bad? And they get mad easily. And well, explode on us? Yea, them.
Maybe you know a few people like this? I do. And honestly, I’ve had experiences where I handled them well and not so well.
Here are a few tips to help you deal with the difficult people in your life.
1. Love them anyway~ please note, I’m saying you put up with their behavior, but most difficult people know what they’ve done and feel bad afterwards. Let them know you love them or care, but also still be honest.
2. Set boundaries with them. Healthy boundaries are good.
3. Don’t take responsibility for their behavior.
4. Don’t be afraid to step back from the relationship. It’s ok to take a break or walk away. (for marriage issues, seek counseling)
5. Don’t let their behavior rub off on you. It’s only natural to want to spew back. This is when you use self-control. Remain calm.
6. Forgive them. It will help you move forward.
7. Take a time out. When you don’t know how to respond, don’t. Get quiet, grab some time away from this person, and pray.
When dealing directly with an exploder, try these tips from Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst:
8. Honor the one offended.~ Unglued
9. Keep your response short and full of grace.~Unglued
10. End by extending compassion.~Unglued
If you are the difficult person and you know it, don’t be ashamed. Satan would love to use that to make you think that’s just the way you are. Not true. Seek help, prayer, God’s Word, and believe that it’s possible for you to learn to deal with your emotions in a healthy way! Because it is!
Above all, remember, we aren’t responsible for anyone else’s reactions or words but our own, so we need to make sure our reactions and words are uplifting and glorifying to God. These tips and more will be discussed in detail during our next online study. I hope you will join me and thousands of others who are learning to “make wise choices in the midst of raw emotions.”
The Unglued Online Bible Study with Melissa Taylor is a community of women who will join online to dig deeper into the Word and further into lasting peace. Sign up today to join this encouraging community!
Check out our new and improved Unglued Conference Call Series. We have worked hard to make sure this conference call series is very much worth your time. Our team is so excited about it and we hope you will sign up and join us! Great information, Bible study, and special guests, including author of Unglued, Lysa TerKeurst.
Sign up for this online study in the right column of this blog AND leave a comment below with your favorite tip in dealing with difficult people and you will be entered to win an Unglued bundle. (book, participant’s guide, and DVD) Winner will be announced Sunday, August 12th.
*****Organized study peeps! Read the last chapter of our study book today, Keep it Simple.