When our earthly experiences with love have left us feeling unprotected, uncertain and ultimately unloved, it’s tempting to not want to risk trusting anyone again.
And all too often, our view of love and God’s love for us is tainted by the people who have failed us. But God doesn’t want us to stay stuck in our places of hurt. He wants to heal us and help us move forward so we can experience not only the depth of His love for us, but also the power of life-giving, healthy relationships with other people, fostered in an environment of authentic love both given and received.
In this episode of Therapy and Theology, Lysa TerKeurst, her personal, licensed professional counselor Jim Cress, as well as Proverbs 31 Ministries Director of Theology and Research, Joel Muddamalle, tackle some of the most important questions surrounding love and our motivations behind love, including:
- How can you love the Lord with your heart, soul and mind?
- How can you really love your neighbor as ourselves?
- What is motivating your love? And what is that motivation revealing?
- Where is what you love ultimately leading you?
- How would you define love?
After this conversation, you will be equipped to:
- Understand what Biblical love is and what it isn’t by discerning the difference between kindness and enabling.
- Know what to do if you feel stuck in an unhealthy relationship by learning the safest outlets you can take your most important questions to, including trusted friends, a pastor or a Christian counselor.
Like Jim Cress says, “true love connects and communes.” So friend, we pray this conversation leaves you feeling more loved by God and more equipped to pursue healthy, loving relationships with others.
-We can’t always assume the broken pieces of our life circumstances are terrible and pointless — not with our God. Gain healthier ways to process your pain and learn to see even your most hurtful situations through truth-based perspectives with Lysa TerKeurst’s new devotional, Seeing Beautiful Again: 50 Devotions to Find Redemption in Every Part of Your Story. Get your copy here.
-Scripture references for the story of the rich young ruler: Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31 and Luke 18:18-30.
-Ready to take the next step in finding a Christian counselor? Here’s a good place to find the right fit for you and your circumstances: American Association of Christian Counselors.
-Have you been impacted by what you hear on the Proverbs 31 Ministries Podcast? By making a donation to Proverbs 31 Ministries, your gift helps us reach even more with the life-changing Truth in God's Word. Click here to make a donation today.
Click here to download the transcript for today's episode.