Welcome to our Friday post for Week 1 of Get Your Life Back by John Eldredge! I hope you’ve been able to dive into the reading and become familiar with the simple practices of the one-minute pause and benevolent detachment.
When I first encountered these, I was excited to try them out but also a bit unsure of where to begin. If you’re wondering that, too, here are a few ideas to help get you started:
THE ONE-MINUTE PAUSE
- Take a deep breath and pray, Jesus, I give everyone and everything to You.
- Set reminders on your phone reminding you to pause once or twice a day, or download the One Minute Pause app and set up the notifications feature.
- Pack your headphones with you so you can easily put them in to help you focus during your pause. Finding some soothing instrumental music to listen to may be helpful.
- Who do you feel burdened to pray for each day? As you pray for them, remind yourself they are deeply loved by God and He cares about them.
- Do you feel the weight of expectations from others? Take some time to write out a list of any expectations you feel. Pray through each one and ask God to help you release the weight and release the expectations.
- Take a moment to think about the amazing creation God spoke into existence. Remind yourself that if He can do that, He is more than capable of holding everyone and everything in His hands.
I would encourage you not to give up even if, at first, it feels weird and strange to observe these simple practices. And if you need to tweak or adjust any part of how you do them, that’s OK too! Remind yourself perfection is not the aim. Let’s just take one step at a time toward soul rest and restoration.
In the spirit of quieting our souls, we, too, will go quiet for the weekend here at Study Central, but I will be back on Monday as we begin Week 2!
Talk to you then!
P.S. Need some other ideas of how to incorporate these simple practices? Find them on our Instagram page in our story highlights!
Putting It Into Practice!
What ways have you thought of to incorporate these simple practices into your life? Which one will you start with?