Well here we are. It’s the end of Week 1 – just before we begin our husband projects. What have we gotten ourselves into?
Are you ready to do this? Are you ready to embark on a journey that has life-changing potential for your husband, your marriage and most especially you?
Since you’ve signed up to do this study with us, I’m guessing you are. I think we’re here because, despite how our marriages may look today, we’re dedicated to making them better. We care about our marriages. And The Husband Project gives us hope.
In Chapter 7, there are a few things author Kathi Lipp tells us to be aware of that I found super helpful:
1. Check your attitude. Remember we’re not doing this to change our husbands. Although we hope he is blessed by what we do, in order to be authentic and selfless, we are doing this to initiate change in ourselves, our habits and our hearts.
2. Make the projects your own. This is GREAT advice! Not every project suggested by Kathi is going to be a good fit for every husband. Select those that consider his mind-set and happiness. You can even make up your own!
For example, the way to my husband’s heart is not through his stomach. He’s not a big food guy. So the projects built around cooking or food, weren’t the best choices to make him feel loved and honored. However, when I put a sticky note on his steering wheel that said, “Hey baby, I love you and hope you have a great day,” that meant the world to him!
3. Make it manageable. The last thing we want is to make the projects so time consuming and difficult that we feel like quitting after a few days! Kathi suggests, “Keep it simple, and then let him wonder what you’re up to.”
4. Use the resources available to you! (This one is my own addition.) Did you see the P31 OBS Journal created to help you through this study? I love that thing! There’s a section for notes on the weekly video, a 21-day section to plan and keep up with your projects, Bible verses and marriage quotes to inspire and encourage, plus a “My 5 for My Guy” section for staying focused daily on what you like about your husband. You can print yourself a copy or use the digital version. And if you’re still waiting on your book, we have the first week of reading for you right here too! You can download the reading below.
Ok so what have we gotten ourselves into? I’ll tell you what ... 21 days of loving our husbands. On purpose. With a plan. And with God by our side every step of the way. Let’s do this!
Reflect and Respond:
Projects begin next, in Week 2!
- Are you planning all your projects now, or one day at a time?
- What project are you doing first?
- What project are you most excited about?
- Are you making up any of your own projects?
- What have you gotten yourself into by doing The Husband Project?